Saturday, May 27, 2006

the lake

I never knew nature could be so melancholic.

The lake was calm but the silhouettes of the hills made me think of the past – words, smiles, caresses, unspoken promises. I tried to let go, I really did. I wrote a lot. I thought even more. Trying to put together pieces of the jigsaw, missing the picture completely I’m sure.

When there is nothing to do except sit by the water and look at reflections, it is difficult to dull the mind. I took refuge in walls, electricity and books, anything to stop thinking. I don’t think I really got anywhere.

Thought of all the metaphors possible with the word ‘boat’ and all the ones possible with ‘cards’. And all the ones that the fat ‘holy’ fish conjured up.

So different from the way nature moved me in Kumarakom.

Was welcomed back to civilization with open arms. T had written a mail saying she was unhappy, indicated what about but said she could not write the details in a mail. Implored me to come back soon. Never felt so close to someone. The mail did not respect capitals or spelling. It was from the heart, like something you would write to yourself.

Then K called me, asking if I was coming to Cal. And when I told him I couldn’t cos the plane ticket price had gone up since I mailed him, he wistfully asked me why I couldn’t come in the general bogey!

Friends. Pals. Buddies. Only known them a short while, but there’s something about living in the same campus, knowing you can walk into each other’s room any time of the day or night, seeing each other in states of disarray.

As FR and I agree, Bollywood style, yeh love-shove bakwaas hai!

4 Comments:

At May 27, 2006 11:58 AM , Blogger yesbob said...

lady, you got an echo ...

 
At May 27, 2006 8:27 PM , Blogger First Rain said...

Yes ... the campus tends to do that - I've practically lived my life out of campuses now ... it gets in one's blood. As if those machines of plastic and wires, and the nerdy people who sit behind it and gawk at it all day - something very endearing about it all - something so familiar. It's my world. Somewhere where I am always welcome, and wanted.

 
At May 29, 2006 2:04 PM , Blogger Prerona said...

there was something very stunning about this post. i liked ...

 
At June 25, 2006 5:58 PM , Blogger Anil P said...

Where time rustles feelings, memories cannot be far away, hanging like leaves from water that a lazy fish sprays at the skies.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home